23 March 2008

New kid(s) on the block


The other day Driste posted something that reminded me of why blogs (and all kinds of virtual communication over the internet) fascinates me so much. Almost 15 years ago, when the www started to evolve and people around me was talking about how they met other people over the internet, I was instigated to explore this world more deeply – WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE COMMUNICATE VIA THE INTERNET????

In those days there was only text (and maybe some pictures), no video or sound. So how could people get close without being able to see face expressions, body language or hear the tone of each other’s voices? Obviously, all over the world people are connecting and building deep relations and they have never even met! Ok, this is no news. I mean, don’t we all know SOMEONE who met their partner or developed a deep friendship with someone on the other side of the world (or at least not in their own physical surroundings) with internet as the ‘helping hand’?

Now, even though interaction on the internet in many different forms have played a huge part in my life for the last 15 years, the blogging culture didn’t really appeal to me… I guess, to me, blogging appeared to be more of a kind of one-way communication and it didn’t interest me. And since I never felt I had anything to tell a faceless audience, I didn’t feel the need to write a blog (or publish a website) about myself.

…not until I discovered that the other big part of my life, ashtanga yoga, connects so many people in the blogosphere! For the last couple of months I’ve learned a bunch about yoga (and some other stuff ;-) from others personal envisagements, their success and their shortcomings. I feel for the people I read about and the fellowship and the bonds that are tied move me.

Not so long ago (with a little help from Princess Laksmi :-) I took a giant leap and started commenting on a few of the blogs I read. It has increased, and I’m beginning to think that maybe, MAYBE, I have something to contribute? At least, I feel that I should give these magnificent people the possibility to get to know me as well. Am I to take part of this community I need to put myself out there too! It’s only fair… (ok, I have a few more reasons for blogging, but I’ll keep those for another post!)

So Chitta, hold your breath and – push ‘Publish Post’!

Oh, and the picture portraits my niece, Bumblebee, who was born almost three weeks ago. She is only a couple of days old in this picture but isn’t she an angel?! As you can imagine, I’m very proud of my brother and I will be the best auntie ever :-)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH! We got you! Now you're one of us. I'm glad you started a blog!

crankyhausfrau said...

yeah! welcome! and that is one gorgeous baby!

chitta vritti said...

ah, thanks you guys!

Laksmi, I promise to try write shorter posts in the future and maybe you would even like to READ my blog? ;-)

joke aside, you make me feel welcome and basically what I was trying to say - this is i big leap for me, so thank you for the support!

crankyhausfrau said...

hey Chitta, drop me an email and i would love to invite you to read my blog. it is not like a cool club or anything, i just write so much about my kids, i feel like i need to keep a smaller circle than the entire public. :)

tsteiner at stny dot rr dot com

Anonymous said...

Welcome! Gosh, that baby is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of writing a blog!!

You are right, there are lots of blogging ashtangis out here, almost too many to read now!

I met my last boyfriend on the Internet, we broke up, so as yet I am undecided whether it is a good way to meet people or not. We found out how much we had in common through the internet, but after a few months, it seemed that something else was missing... but that could happen meeting in the real world too...

chitta vritti said...

oh, thank you all!

i understand that you're undecided yogiupsidedown! i know people how are still together, people that broke up and people who made great friends. i don't think you can find out everything about one-another over the internet. but i do believe that in some ways you can get closer then you might have if you met in RL just because this media takes away some of the filters we ordinarily see people through when we meet for the fist time.

and yeah, isn't the baby a sweetheart? i LOVE that little nose of hers (from her mother), makes her look like a 'rump-nisse' (for the ones of you who ever read Artrid Lindgrens Ronia, the Robber's Daughter) You'll be seeing more of her, thats a promise :)

chitta vritti said...

i mean 'who'...

Anonymous said...

I met my husband online. Gonna keep him forever. So that worked out well :-)