11 July 2008

Reluctant posting

I know I haven't been a very active cyber shala mate this last week... Work has been sucking out most of my energy for the last couple of weeks. Since I'm so annoyed about my work situation and it seeps into every other part of my life, it feels like I haven't got many positive thoughts about anything right now. I don't want to appear as a whiner and I have few other things to write about. Therefore, very low-key in posting and commenting at this point. Sorry! Don't know whether this post will turn out on a more positive note, but hell, I'll give it a try.

Due to the Paris trip I didn't have a decent practice for over a week. My left shoulder broke down after long days and a bad bed (and no practice?) in Paris and here the shala is closed Friday through Sunday in the summertime. I did only some sun sals and a bit stretching last weekend. On Tuesday I got to see my wondrous body worker which was really great! Helped to relieve some of the pain in shoulder and between shoulder blades :) I'll see her again at yoga camp in August.


Isn't that at terrific combination? Daily practice for a week (uhm, six days) with Morning Star, in a beautiful place, fantastic nutritious food (Morning Star is a Cooking Goddess!), body worker available, and on top of that, Gemini will be there too, assisting as well as offering acupuncture. That week will be the prime of my vacation. I'm so much looking forward to it!

Anyway, this week with Mercury has been good, though, I been cautious and not doing full practice every day. We've been working a lot with opening chest (thorax?) and strengthening abs. It's funny, at my other (old?) shala, they are all against using props and modifications in order to build strength or awareness in different poses. Mercury on the other hand, who is authorized from Mysore (which they are not at my other shala), has no problems at all using different props and methods to help you open certain things in your body or build awareness. She's very caring and considerate, and at the same time she make's you work your butt off. She's now on her way to Mysore for Guruji's 93 year celebration! Hope she will have a wonderful time, even though I'll miss her. However, it's only for a few weeks and there will be a very good sub at the shala, so i'm gonna be ok. She'll be back when I come home from yoga camp.

This morning, almost asleep while doing the morning poop, i had a huge yawn and BAM! something snapped in the back of my neck. The immediate pain went away pretty quickly, but there was still an achy stiffness down between my shoulder blades. Luckily, the first thing I was going to do this morning was a visit with the chiro! She adjusted my neck and gave me a little massage, besides treating the shoulder and putting on new tape. Feels better now, but still a bit stiff. I need to move around a bit, not just sit here... Any suggestions on how to walk and read at the same time? Oups, and I need to get myself some lunch as well, I'm starving...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, it's totally okay to complain here! I'm sorry you're a little sore. The Yoga Camp sounds absolutely fabulous, though.

Soon we will both have wonderful new jobs and then we will have to change our blog labels! Perhaps we should each have one that says "my job rocks."

Hugs and sparkle-kins.

chitta vritti said...

yeah! we will, we DO need jobs that do that.

no, wait - they need us!

have a wonderful weekend!
may there be glittering, blue skies shining at you.

susananda said...

Hi CV.. I remember being in a job I couldn't cope with and where I felt I just didn't fit in. I used to go out in the park at lunchtime practically weeping with frustration. It will resolve itself eventually, stay positive and focus on the great things in your life. Like yoga camp!!

Keep your shoulder gently moving I'd say, what do the bodyworkers say about it?

Pazzles,
S

chitta vritti said...

thank you so much S, it's always comforting to know one is not alone! you're absolutely right, though some days are harder than others, i do try to embrace the good things i have in my life. sooner or later things will change, just needs some time.

body worker says exactly that, gently moving. but should not put too much pressure on it, esp. infra spinatus, like in chaturanga. need to stretch upper pecs and strengthen lats and between shoulder blades. oh btw, i asked her about rolfing. she knew about it but didn't know if there is anyone doing it here. she's going to check out if there might be, since she's interested in trying it too!

hope you're having a fabulous weekend, filled with sunshine and glittering moments :)

(0v0) said...

Yes, the transitions into and out of catvari can be associated with repetitive stress in the shoulders. But you're constantly building awareness too... precisely through keeping moving. I really hope you feel better soon.

Your English vocabulary is lovely... lots of my favorite words that have fallen out of use in recent times. Maybe the way you have learned English has been more connected to the way the language was used and spoken maybe 100 years ago...when the language was much richer. There was a greater variety of verbs (instead of just go, do, feel, think--the dull basics most Americans rely on exclusively), adjectives were more likely to be polysyllabic and from Romance rather than slang origins, and sentence structure varied.

In a way, I identify. Read a lot of classics growing up, and did not have any exposure to popular culture (we lived in the country on a ranch).

Anyway, all by way of saying it is so cool you used the word thorax. It's correct, though usually reserved to biologists' discussions of bug anatomy these days. I love the word though, and use it, along with "thoracic."

Carl said...

Chitta, I'm un-fond of my job too, if it helps you feel better.

Thorax is a great word.

eeyore said...

it is great, dr. seussish, even. i think your yoga camp sounds like the best thing ever.

chitta vritti said...

wow, that is tremendous feedback, from someone who's writing i adore and admire.

it's an interesting thought, that how i learned english might have more connection to older use of the language. probably, i mean, it IS more than thirty years since i first went to school. i suppose a lot of what i learned then is still there, even with the influence of popular culture and mass-media that we are exposed to nowadays. and also, that is mostly the verbal language. have to admit, i haven't done much reading or writing since school... prose and poetry, that is. i need to read some academic writing for work, though.

(this of course has to do with why i blog, and do in english. i haven't forgotten my promise to post about it! i'm on it.)

chitta vritti said...

Carl, it's not knowing that others are miserable that is comforting. it's knowing that others have experienced what i am experiencing, and got through it. however, thank you for wanting to make me feel better, that is very sweet of you and i appreciate it :)

chitta vritti said...

Eeyore, i'm not that familiar with Dr Seuss, vocabulary-wise. i do remember the cat in the hat though!

yoga camp IS the best thing ever! you should come and join me sometime.

no, wait, you're going to Mysore. THAT is the best thing ever :)

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Chitta dear, your yoga camp sounds divine. I wish I could come! BTW, I hope things begin to budge very soon at work, that something unsticks and changes everything for you. Have a good Monday!

chitta vritti said...

thank you my Joy! in two days it's vacation time for me, and i will take my time off to mull things. i'm sure things wont change just out of the blue, i need to 'expose' myself to possibilities. just haven't really taken the time yet to search myself for what i want.

camp is divine, indeed. maybe, if we plan things right, you can come with me next summer! how awesome wouldn't that be? :)))

ashtanga en cevennes said...

The awesomist!

Is it every August? Hmmm.... I just found out that I have some time off next month, actually. Maybe I could find some kind of yoga thing to do, after all.

chitta vritti said...

the ones i go to are in August, first or second week.

is there any yoga activities in your vicinity? i know there is a good place in Crete, but that is probably too far, right? i promise, going on a yoga trip like that is such a treat! best vacation you could ever dream of :)

Anonymous said...

I just need to say that I put a comment on here and blogger ATE it, stupid silly blogger.

Now I don't remember what it was except that I'm sure it was scintillating and brilliant.

alfia said...

Hi, CV:

Sometimes the work troubles and body troubles are connected more intimately than we realize. Especially neck/sholulder area, where people tend to accumulate a lot of stress. I hope you feel better soon and enjoy yoga camp. It sounds great!