05 July 2008

There are Shibas in Paris!

Home again, and I'm completely worn out, mentally as well as physically. It's been a very intense week with a busy schedule at the conference. Many interesting sessions, a lot of people to talk to and make connections with (mostly Americans! got to practice my verbal English quite a bit :). My closest colleague and I now have a lot of ideas about what we'd like to focus on in our work for the coming year or so. (IF I stay that is! I AM looking for a new job, but it could take a while and I need to make the best of my time as long as I'm still there. I got some good input at the conference and my job search can definitely benefit from it as well.)


The conference was held at one of the universities in Paris. It's a really cool building. Architecturally it reminds a lot of my own workplace, but the French are definitely more daring. Lots of details painted in luminous colors and and other intriguing decorations.




Spent the rest of the time with my colleagues who are really a lot of fun to be with. We had a great time together :) I think it's a good thing to be able to have fun besides the work we do, just being ourselves and playing around.

We wandered the streets of Paris, looked at some of the typical Paris sights and were amazed by all the different kinds of shops that are to be found in the small, winding streets. We ate at local restaurants or tried out the food stands we came across. Mostly galettes, crepes and different sandwiches. In the mornings we grabbed a coffee in some bar and bought croissants and pain au chocolat at the 'boulangerie'. YUM!



Unfortunately the only Mysore class at Caroline Boulinguez' studio in 4th while I was there was at the same time as the conference reception! And my hotel room was small as shoebox. Doing practice there was completely out of the question. When getting out of bed I could almost step right into the bathroom. So, no practice in Paris...



I probably should've planned better ahead and been more focused on which sessions to go to and maybe then I would have been able to get more time to myself. Anyway, I've had a great time so it doesn't really matter. Shopping and practice were the two things I didn't really get to do and I can live with that. Did a lot of window shopping though, when we walked around the city. Can't say I had any particular things I wanted to shop just because it's in Paris. Or should I say, the things I'd want to buy were so expensive and I don't think it would've been worth it. I don't need more stuff as it is.


Instead I just enjoyed the city. I love walking around, looking at the architecture and all the details in the surroundings that differ from what I'm used to. Listen to all the sounds and the noise, and the FRENCH! I don't understand much, but I love the language, listening to people talking is awesome! Although, I'm amazed how well you get around speaking English nowadays. When I visited last, 18 years ago, if you'd ask something in English the French would just look at you like you were an oddball and then ignore you. Now people gladly spoke English or at least tried to communicate. I do like to adapt the usual phrases and try to speak a few words. I think, since I do know a little French, I could do the effort and also - it's fun :) Lots of s'ill vous plait, merci beaucoup, aujourd'hui and au revoire in other words.



We also got to take the Metro several times, which is an adventure in itself. The Paris Metro is pretty awesome with all it's different crossing lines, connected by stairs and passages all over the place, often decorated with tiles covering the arched lanes. Sometimes VERY crowded carriages, with lots of smells.




Not only were you all with me in spirit, some of you actually appeared physically! Even though this is not a lioness, I immediately thought of Annabella when we came across this proud, noble lion in a street crossing.

And Owl is alive and well at a book store near Saint Michel!

I didn't see any Shiba Inus for myself, but a guy I spoke to one evening, when a bunch of us from the conference went to a restaurant on Bd. Pasteur, almost immediately told me he had seen one, when we started talking about all the dogs in Paris. He was very excited about it and it made me feel safe and happy to know there are Shibas in Paris :)

20 comments:

susananda said...

Sounds lovely! Your pictures make me homesick (I'm entitled, I spent a year there)! Glad you had a good time, and a few days off practice won't kill you. Is that you peeping through in the corner of the top pic?

I love the second pic, of that building, that looks super cool.

chitta vritti said...

you're sooo entitled! if someone told me i HAD to move there, i could live with that :)

and yes, that is me peeking at you!

alfia said...

I feel like I was there! Thank you, CV. Excellent pictures!

Anonymous said...

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I love this post.

I LOVE your pictures. These are like Joy's - you feel like you're really there with you. Wow. What a wonderful trip... it sounds like you struck the perfect balance of seeing the "sights" and being a local.

I am honored that you thought of me when you saw the lion! And of course, shibas in Paris. Safe and happy that there are shibas EVERYWHERE!

I send you hugs, glitter pazzles and the smile of a shiba's tail! xxxxxx

chitta vritti said...

oh, thank you both! i was hoping to bring you some Paris-feeling, and obviously mission's accomplished :)

you know Anna, i was so thrilled when that lion appeared, so majestic in the sunset. and we had just spoken of the shiba that guy saw! it was a magic moment... glitter pazzles and the smile of a shiba's tail, oh my!

Anonymous said...

It was like I was there, approving of the Parisian Shibas! (laughing)

That really is very, very special.

Pain au chocolat... mmm. I want that now. Diet be damned.

chitta vritti said...

you really did, i knew it :)

croissants and pain au chocolat, yes, so yummy. why do they taste so much better there than here?

(0v0) said...

Paris is so beautiful. This is dreamy. I hope the inspiration lasts a long time.

Your pics are all really exciting. I like the first one best, and also the colorful-modernist uni building.

But the owls are pretty great! I really enjoy cute owl images... especially because a lot of owl images are vaguely scary.

I should go to that store. I think you planted a seed...

eeyore said...

those are such great owls! l' hibou bleu? wish i'd been there, too. awesome pictures, chitta. and enough time to explore around, too.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Woohooooo Paris!

chitta vritti said...

thank you all for the compliments on the pictures!

it's a bit funny though. a long, long time ago i used to be a photographer. but i quit, due to a terrible performance anxiety. only recently i've started fooling myself into taking pictures again by consciously not trying to take good ones. most of the time i just put up the camera and push the button. no composing, no flash, no nothing, which often makes them fuzzy, skewed and not pretty. i'm learning to like it, my own pictures that is. i love it when others are like that.

and hey, planting seeds is awesome :)

chitta vritti said...

other's...

Anonymous said...

You should keep taking them, Chitta. They are really wonderful and inspired and, yes, dreamy. (And I am NOT just saying this.)

chitta vritti said...

that is a very sweet and encouraging thing to say, Anna. you are a darling, truly.

speaking of dreamy, i love Owl's pictures because i think the have something very dreamy about them. i love the angles and that they don't seem to be taken with the intention to be "good" pictures. just documenting stuff from her point of view. their simplicity is amazing. very inspiring to me.

(0v0) said...

That is the coolest thing you could ever say!

For a lot of reasons.

Your photos ARE wonderful. I enjoy them.

And like you I used to be afraid (very) to take pictures. It seems like an existential problem to go grasping after documentation. Also, my dad does freelance photography and my bro is a talented visual artist, so I feel like a dork trying to do anything visual. It's really cool that what I pick out resonates with you--I don't really care if they're beautiful or artistic, but do love that they strike your imagination.

Yours do that too. They are seeds in many ways.

chitta vritti said...

Owl, i love that we inspire each other in this way :)

i think that too often we are made to believe, or make ourselves believe, that one is either a "this" or a "that" kind of person. to me, any visual expression is portraying an inner landscape in some sense - conscious or unconscious. those landscapes are not always pretty or considered esthetically appealing. however, they are unique and awesome and at the same time universal, which resonates (i really like that word!), if not with everyone, at least with some.

seeds... i need to figure out how to nourish them.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Chitta! Hi!

Hope you're having a lovely day.

chitta vritti said...

hi my Joy!

the weather is lovely! work, not so much... but soon it's vacation time, YAY :)

hope you are having a wonderful time in that fabulous place. is it hot down there?

and hey, it's your turn to post now ;-)

Arturo said...

Hi Chitta Vritti
Great architecture, where you had your conference. I noticed that Caroline Boulangez' shala has an unusual rotating mysore schedule, but even LM's in Italy does too. Maybe it's the European way, I'm not sure.
Cheers,
Arturo

chitta vritti said...

hi Arturo!
i thought you'd appreciate the architecture :)

those unusual schedules are not especially the european way, i think. Joy Suz put it so funny, something i the lines of the french (and southern europeans in general?) not being very keen on paying money to get up early in the morning, work hard and sweat a lot. i think that is why Lino has been working a lot in the scandinavian countries. we are more of the suffering kind, lol!