04 June 2008

Morning practice bliss

Had a lovely practice with Gabi again this morning. She is a very warm and gentle teacher, and yet thorough and scrutinous. I have a couple of very good male teachers that are really amazing in their own different ways. But I must say, being taught by a female teacher who has such experience and the experience of a female body is just outstanding :)

Frustrating enough I need to re-learn the Surya Namaskaras. There are so many details that I haven't payed proper attention to for a long time (I can't get that none of my teachers have pointed this out to me?!). This is one of the good things about practicing with a new teacher, they immediately spot things that the regular ones seem to let you off the hook about, and they bring you out of your 'comfort zone'. By re-learning i mean that I have built patterns and muscle memories that need to be worn down. The only way to do that is to practice, practice, practice and hopefully work with a teacher that is constantly on your back about those details.

Alright, so one of my problems is, and has been for a while, that I don't have a 'main' teacher that sees me often enough and keep pointing these things out. In a week I practice with 2 to 4 different teachers. The one that I would gladly consider my 'main' teacher is only teaching in Stockholm one day a week. That's why I reached the decision to go to Mercury this summer and maybe even continue next fall. The reason I haven't been going there regularly is that her shala is further away from where I live and my resistance to get up even earlier than I already have to is tremendous! On the other hand, the shala is at least on my way to work, so it's not like I have to go in the wrong direction to get there. And it isn't all that far, I'm just spoiled to have 'my' shala three blocks from my house... But yah, I'm looking forward to going to Mercury!

8 comments:

eeyore said...

three blocks, how really nice! where's mercury? here in sf, it does sound like another planet:)

Carl said...

I suppose it may be frustrating to have to re-learn fundamentals but it's probably inevitable that we have to do it now and then.

Mercury is a cool name. Is she mercurial?

ashtanga en cevennes said...

How much earlier will you have to wake up in order to practice there in the morning? I miss my evening Ashtanga classes... Yesterday I was out late at a winebar with some girlfriends and so I'm punking out again and will be doing the evening class tonight. I just can't ashtanga on 4 hours of sleep. At least, not when I know I have the option to practice later.

ashtanga en cevennes said...

Meh, why go at all, in fact? I self-practiced this morning when I woke up because I don't work until this afternoon... it was an abbreviated practice with the intent to go to the shala tonight, but I think I'll rest.

I didn't do the moonday, after all. ;)

chitta vritti said...

um, Eeyore, this makes me feel like i'm soooo spoiled! it's a little more than 2,5 km from my house - in total it takes me about 20-25 minutes to get there, catching a bus and walking a few blocks. stockholm's a small city?

so i'd have to wake up a half hour earlier, which isn't much, i know! but i persist to be an 'evening person' and i have a really hard time getting to bed and then get to sleep at a reasonable hour. 4 hours is definitely not enough to practice on, i need at least 7 and don't mind 8 hours :)

Joy Suz, abbreviated or not, the important thing is to practice, if so only the sun sals :)

chitta vritti said...

oh, and yes Carl, she is mercurial! i don't know if you use the expression the same way, but we say a person who is speedy and lively is like mercury.

Anonymous said...

Speedy, lively, mercurial! It's so nice to have a shala close by.

It's so hard to practice early and have a life. I often sacrifice sleep. 7 hours is perfect for me, but if I'm getting up at 5, it's often hard to be asleep at 10!

Hope you are having a wonderful day!

Just remembering that when I started practice at my shala a few years ago, Christopher redid some of what I was doing in the suryas. I was dropping my knees down, had trouble really rolling over toes. Told him he was going to break my toes.

But eventually it all became second nature.

chitta vritti said...

i so wish i could sacrifice sleep, but i'm an old lady and just can't do it anymore... 10 is desirable but soooo hard! look at me now, it's waaaayyy passed midnight. but tomorrow is our national holiday! no work, shala closed and i can practice whenever i wake up :)

i think rolling my toes is just about the ONLY thing i don't have to redo. i learned doing it directly on the wooden floor!

and thank you, Anna! i had a wonderful day, not to mention the evening :) hope your's is as lovely!