06 June 2008

What could be more perfect?

Today was one of those days you'd think you're in the Mediterranean and not in a northern country like Sweden. My cousin's oldest daughter graduated today and family and friends gathered to celebrate the young lady. Siblings and parents, cousins and second cousins, aunts and uncles, almost everyone was there. Windows open, letting in the warm breeze, everyone in pretty summer clothes, children and dogs running and horsing around all over the place. Food, wine, laughter, the scent of flowers, presents and delicious desserts.

I went out to sit for a while on the little balcony facing the back yard, just to get to myself for a few minutes and relish the moment. Surrounded by green plants climbing up the walls, looking at the sun reflecting in the windows across the yard and listening to the sounds of people enjoying the evening together. It felt like time stopped for a couple of seconds.

Had lots of little conversations with Bumblebee. Today she's three months old. Just over the passed week she's become so smiley and cuddly and has begun making the sweetest little sounds. Her voice is quite unique, I think I'd distinguish it from a hundred babies. She's so adorable and lovely and she's my niece! I think I could eat her, that's how sweet she is.

Oh, and what makes an evening like this even more magical is the light! The sun sets at 10pm. It's now passed midnight as I'm writing this, and it's still not dark. The sky is glowing in a deep shade of blue and only a few of the brightest stars are to be seen.

10 comments:

Carl said...

Very pretty.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, Chitta, that's gorgeous. I've never seen anything like that, and a 10:00 sunset? Wow.

Bumblebee! What a sweet name for her.

You had a perfect day. I am smiling for you.

eeyore said...

really beautiful. wow, it's much warmer chez toi than chez moi!

chitta vritti said...

oh my, thank you! you're all so kind! (i cerialy hope you mean the post and not the picture, which is blurry and a pretty unexciting motif... just wanted to see if i could catch that glowing sky.)

i did have a perfect day and i was happy and smiling for all of you and the rest of the universe!

Eeyore, your french sounds lovely :) i'm on the Côte d'Azur! roar! meoweth!

(0v0) said...

Oh WOW. That is amazing.

The contrast between your winter and summer is SO stark. I wish you could soak up all this light now and save it for winter when the SAD sets in.

I once lived in Alaska for a summer and around the solstice we basically didn't sleep!

chitta vritti said...

the contrast is extreme, yes. i too wish one could store the light. it does seem to have some effect, though, if it's a good summer. symptoms set in later, but still need treatment...

Alaska, that must have been an experience! at this time of year the sun never sets in the northern parts of sweden. i guess it was the same there?

(0v0) said...

On the solstice, the sun dipped below the horizon for a few minutes. Beautiful.

That summer was also the first time I ever fell in love. I was 20.

Between the sun and the seratonin (a by-product of my besottedness), I spent the whole summer in a sleepless euphoria.

I have mused about spending (north american) winters in Buenos Aires. :) Indra Devi did it!

chitta vritti said...

oh, you make me all nostalgic when you write like that - reminds me of my youth. euphoric, magic summers, yes.

are those musings to be found on your blog? Indra Devi, i know too little about her... she had some swedish roots?

(0v0) said...

I think she did! Fascinating woman.

Maybe I will muse about that Alaskan summer sometime. For now, it has not been blogged.

Hope the weekend's end is sweet for you.

xoxovo

chitta vritti said...

why thank you, Owl, hope your's is too!

oh, i loved your "xoxovo", very clever :)