18 April 2008

12 PM WTF??!!!

Could someone PLEAZE explain to me the logic in 12 PM being NOON????? I'm fully aware that Americans use the weirdest measurements for almost everything: length, weight, cubic measure, temperature, you name it! (I've never been able to figure out how tall I am using foot/inch - very illogical!) But this? Since when does counting START with 12 and then proceed to 1??? I mean, the logic thing would be that 9, 10 and 11 AM is followed by 12 AM, but no! This is were the peculiar Americans decide that after 11 AM comes 12 PM which comes BEFORE 1 PM! This drives me crazy!

On another note, today has been a gorgeous day, sunny and almost warm (ok, not WARM, but at least not COLD! :) It feels like spring is finally for real, although snow in April and even beginning of May is quite possible...

Yesterday I went to evening practice with Humming Finn. He is such an excellent teacher! Because I haven't practiced since last week I took things very slow (have you heard this before? ;-). For some strange reason (too much for lunch?) I had great difficulty holding bandhas properly. Tried hard though, and focusing on breath. I didn't even have to tell Humming Finn to be gentle with me, he spotted my condition right away and gave me very good but gentle assists in prasarita padottanasana, UHP and janu sirsasana A. After that i stopped and did finishing. Finally, in padmasana, he sat behind me, putting his feet on my shoulder-blades and kind of massaging my shoulders and traps to relax and open chest. All of the time following my every breath. He is truly amazing :) I wish he'd be teaching more then one or two days a week... Oh well, I'm happy he DOES teach those days at my shala!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this is funny. I don't know. Do we go from 12 to 1 because of the numeric clocks, what do you call them, not the digital kind, the kind on the wall, or a watch? There is probably a long, rational answer to this question!

Happy weekend Chitta V! I hope the sun shines on you!

Carl said...

Silly, Chitta! You must blame this confusion on the English. We Americans are not at fault.

Uff da!

chitta vritti said...

wow, Carl, that's the second time you call me silly! i must've made quite an impression on you ;-) though, i must say, you were the one i was hoping for that rational explanation from...

oh, and i've never heard/seen the expression 'uff da', so i'd to look it up on urbandictionary.com and to my surprise it originates from scandinavia/norway! not that i can really see from which scandinavian/norweigan expr that is, but anyhow. wow, (again) Carl, you make me learn so many new things.