27 April 2008

Dilemma

I said it before, I've enrolled for a weekend workshop with Petri Räisänen. The workshop is in two weeks and I realized just today that I haven't payed for it yet. There is a waiting list and payment is to be made on Wednesday at the latest if one is to be certain to take part.

Now the thing is, I haven't had a consistent practice for almost two months (is it even more?) and at the moment I have a pretty bad shoulder and a bad foot. When I do get to practice I've been modifying a few poses due to that and generally I've been practicing cautiously, stopping either after standing poses or somewhere around janu sirsasana.

That said, I'm starting to think I might not do the workshop at this point? I can only take part two out of three days because I'm away at a conference the first day. That means it would cost me $135 for two mysore classes, which I think is rather a lot. For almost the same amount I could get a punch-ticket to practice ten times with Mercury which I know will definitely do my practice good!

Don't get me wrong, Petri is a fantastic teacher and I have been looking forward to this. But now it dawns on me, maybe I wont really benefit from his teaching at the state I'm in? It's not like I wont get more chances to practice with him, he comes here at least twice a year and he has retreats in both Sweden and Finland in the summer that I've been thinking of maybe going on.

Hm, maybe I've already made up my mind?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have never practiced with Petri but I hear he's outstanding.

Dilemma!

On the one hand, if you're not up to taking advantage of all of it because of injuries, maybe it's better to put it off?

On the other hand, sometimes a great workshop can jump start a consistent practice again, and you can still get so much benefit from it even if you're modifying.

What to do? What to do?

I want to visit Sweden!

chitta vritti said...

oh, you have a very good point there, Anna! guess i was looking at it from a cost point of view, so to speak, and then it seemed like a lot of money for little when i don't feel capable of doing much progress at the moment. on the other hand, as you say, it might be an inspiring jump start and then it would all be worth it, right? i have to think this over one more time. thank you so much :) he really is outstanding!

you really should try to visit sometime, i think you would like it here!

crankyhausfrau said...

i agree with Anna. it might reinspire you! and give you something to do to work with your injuries.
i have been to Norway. i realize, not at all the same as Sweden, but closer than other places?

chitta vritti said...

thank you Cranky! i AM reconsidering. self practice this morning was nice so guess i'm a little bit more optimistic today :)

Norway and Sweden are so not the same. though, probably more alike than Sweden and the US? and yes, very close! when did you go there and what brought you?

Anonymous said...

You're welcome! Let us know what you decide to do! I am sure that whatever decision you make, it will be the right one!

Oooh, Cranky lets go to Sweden!

chitta vritti said...

yes, yes, come and visit! that would be so much fun :)))

and i promise to let you know what i decide. thank you both for the encouragement, i means a lot to me!

crankyhausfrau said...

we had an exchange student from Norway when i was in high school. i went to visit her and her family after graduation. i loved it there. it was so beautiful and clean! there were a couple of exchange students from sweden the year our student was visiting and they all teased each other about what country they were from.
i would LOVE to go to sweden Anna! let's start saving our money! Chitta, do you have room to put us both up? :)

chitta vritti said...

of course i can put you up!!! it's not like i live in a palace or anything, but as long as you don't expect separate bedrooms and five star hotel standard, there is always room for the two of you :) it would be a tremendous pleasure if you'd come!

visitors and tourists usually comment about the cleanness and beauty, so in that sense i guess Sweden and Norway are pretty similar. sadly enough, in Stockholm i'd say we are progressing towards a more 'international standard' regarding pollution and littering, though, not yet as bad as other metropolitans areas in the world.